- This event has passed.
Learn to Patchwork
September 15, 2017 @ 11:30 am - 2:30 pm$80
This is a beginner patchwork class where you will learn two simple styles of patchworking. You will produce two patchwork pieces that are approximately 35cm square and 40 square cm in this class - you can bring these to subsequent optional quilting or cushion making classes if you would like to develop your work further or add some more skills to your repertoire. The materials needed for these classes are listed below for your convenience. This gives you the option to custom your quilting piece to make the perfect accessory for your home, or the perfect gift for friends or family. If you have no fabric or colour preference and wish to have all materials provided for you, you will need to add the ‘Fabrics pack’ option to your booking. Participants are welcome to bring their own sewing machine or use one of ours.
Materials you need to bring:
Patchwork class –
- Minimum of 25cm length of each of two fabrics that will contrast or compliment each other. The fabrics can be patterned or plain, but will work best if one is light and the other dark. Buying good quality fabrics (check the quilting range in your local fabric store) will mean a longer lasting, more durable piece of work and will be easier to work with.
Quilting and cushion making classes –
- A minimum 45cm length of matching fabric to make the back of the cushion and a minimum 15cm of fabric for making the binding. Please refer to the photo when choosing the backing and binding and note that these can be more of the two patchworking fabrics you have already used or they can be something different depending on the look you want to achieve.
- 6 large buttons that are approx. 15 to 20mm across (only required for cushion making class)
What You Will Learn
Two simple styles of patchworking
How to cut fabric for patchwork
Basic sewing machine skills and sewing know how
What You Get
Tuition in two styles of patchworking
Two pieces of your own patchwork to take home with you.
Group activities: We are happy to accommodate group bookings and work with you to create a special event for your group
Workshops: Our scheduled workshops are listed in our calendar of events. Please feel free to put forward your suggestions and ideas for workshops or if you are interested in using our facilities to run your own workshop.
Project ideas – List of suggestions for projects you may like to do at our centre:
- Wooden bowls
- Timber 3D pictures
- Jigsaw puzzles
- And the list goes on and on
- Cushion covers
- Picture frames
- Leather belts, wallets, coasters, coolers