- This event has passed.
Button-up Envelope Cushion Covers
October 20, 2017 @ 10:00 am - 12:00 pm$75
This cushion making class teaches simple sewing techniques, how to sew a button hole with a sewing machine and to hand sew buttons onto your work. Participants in our earlier patchwork class may bring along their patchwork piece/s for making into a cushion cover. New class participants will get to make a cushion cover using the materials provided or you may choose to bring your own fabric if you prefer.
Participants are welcome to bring their own sewing machine or use one of ours.
Materials you need to bring:
Patchwork class participants:
- One or both of your patchwork pieces
- A minimum 45cm length of matching fabric to make the backing and a minimum 15cm of binding fabric to make the binding. Please refer to the photo when choosing the backing and binding and note that these can be more of the two patchworking fabrics you have already used or they can be something different depending on the look you want to achieve.
- 3 large buttons that are approx. 15 to 20mm across for each cushion.
All materials are provided, however you are welcome to bring your own fabric if you prefer.
What You Will Learn
- How to use a sewing machine and the button hole foot
- Use of interfacing, buttons and binding
- How to bind the edge using your hand made binding
What You Get
- Patchwork class participants will get to make one or both of their patchwork pieces into a cushion cover.
- Everyone else will get to make their own washable cushion cover.
Group activities: We are happy to accommodate group bookings and work with you to create a special event for your group
Workshops: Our scheduled workshops are listed in our calendar of events. Please feel free to put forward your suggestions and ideas for workshops or if you are interested in using our facilities to run your own workshop.
Project ideas – List of suggestions for projects you may like to do at our centre:
- Wooden bowls
- Timber 3D pictures
- Jigsaw puzzles
- And the list goes on and on
- Cushion covers
- Picture frames
- Leather belts, wallets, coasters, coolers